Author Topic: Life in the cloud  (Read 2333 times)

BillB

• Officers
  • Guru
Life in the cloud
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
WHAT COULD OUR MEMBERS DO IN THE CLOUD?

Do you think this is a topic for PCCC or is everyone too entrenched to change their style?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Jake Sorofman, vice president of marketing for rPath, offers a video tour of 'cloud computing' - its mysteries and opportunities. Follow this link http://www.rpath.com/corp/cloudinenglish to the video.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Cloud computing for the individual user:
Topics off the top of my head without research

• Organize, edit, and share photos
       Picassa
       Shutterfly
  • Email
       Free services (Hotmail, etc)
       ISP webmail
       Domain- or corporate-hosted webmail
  • Word processing/spreadsheets
       Google apps
       Other sources - still beta and may come and go
  • Financial bookkeeping
       Quicken online
       Online banking
  • Data storage
       Windows Live, Yahoo, Google all beta or experimental
       Third-tier such as diino.com many unreliable
       Primary providers Amazon S3 still very techie
  • Web surfing duh!

Add your comments and how you live totally in the hosted environment.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:08:42 AM by BillB »

johnson1545

Re: Life in the cloud update with DropBox
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
DROPBOX is a early Cloud APP, very usable
I have just installed "Symphytum database" ( cost $6.50) To each of my computers on both the Ubuntu and MS systems, then installed the "Dropbox" on each. Symphytum is a simplistic database and works with the drop box automatically to update it file. This allows me to make changes to the database from anywhere I happen to be with any of my computers whether using MS or Ubuntu.  The reason this is important to me is that the database not only keeps up with over 1000 addresses, but also lots of ID and Passwords the I use for CPCC, Clients, ISA, corp, Government  and computer Apps.
(I also notice that the PC Club has not used the drop box in a while.)

BillB

• Officers
  • Guru
Re: Life in the cloud
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Dropbox keeps a separate copy of every file on their servers and locally on each synchronized computer. It recognizes when a local file is modified (as in saving or autosaving a document while you're working on it - a highly recommended practice) and immediately sends the modified file to their servers and other synchronized computers. However, if that file is also open (locked) on another computer, it is saved there as a "conflicted copy" with a different file name and depends on the user to identify the correct file to use.

Although I don't fully understand the distinction, most databases handle file locking differently. They permit multiple users to access and modify the same file concurrently. This way they can all be viewing, and even updating, the same data simultaneously and see others' changes as soon as they are entered. It would take a very sophisticated database and sharing application to manage this record level update from a different (and possibly, randomly named) file.

I use a simple .txt file to track my location in an ebook or podcast. Although I refer to it and make trivial (change a page number) updates on my phone, I go to a full-size keyboard for any significant editing. Then the information is immediately synchronized to the next computer where I might be reading the book. But, this method depends on saving and closing the whole file every time I walk away from it.

If you have a single database user who is diligent about closing her file before opening it from another computer, you can take advantage of installable cloud storage systems (ie: Dropbox, Skydrive, etc) synchronization for any file. If you want a truly shared cloud database, I assume you need to actually open it from the cloud. This means that at least the db engine runs on the host's servers and only transmits your current action.

If your database is simple enough to keep in a spreadsheet, Google Docs or Skydrive allow concurrent editing and updating of a document. If you need more than that, you'll have to step up (??) to a paid service like Office 365 for enterprise-grade computing.

Instead of using the cloud, you could "roll your own" by installing a VPN back home and be actually working on the same file; not a synchronized copy. Easier than that is to use remote access and work directly on your home computer. But, those are completely different topics with far more uses than simply synchronizing a file.

Bill
Computer support for small businesses
http://bloghd.zaitech.com
http://zaitech.com