Author Topic: Time Warner Charlotte goes "all digital"  (Read 1053 times)

BillB

• Officers
  • Guru
Time Warner Charlotte goes "all digital"
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
Previously on ...

Galen Bolin: http://eepurl.com/bpFkFz
Time Warner Cable is at it again. Now what are they up to? They are dropping all the analog TV channels and every channel will be digital. If you have TWC you know what that means. They will send you a box to use on your TVs'. Yes, every TV. The old TVs' and the one you just bought at the big box store. Do you know why they are doing this? Come to the meeting and I will tell you. Hint, Google is coming to town!

Back to the “magic” TWC box, I got mine and had trouble getting it authenticated. Then I had problems getting it to talk to the TV controls. I am not alone. My brother-in-law had problems, the lady down the street had problems. Almost everyone is having issues. Good luck to all of you that have to get the new Cisco DTA.

Steve Marcus:
I also had trouble with the "magic" box. One of my tv's (an older set) no longer gets a full size picture. In addition, and this is a big one, the set has 2 tuners so that I can get picture in picture. This won't work any more for obvious reasons.

They also claim that the picture and sound will be better on all the sets with this box. Ha!!! Not in my house.

I think it is possible that the purpose of these boxes is to prevent your neighbor from stealing service. Without a descrambler, you supposedly have nothing.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:27:37 AM by BillB »

BillB

• Officers
  • Guru
Re: Time Warner Charlotte goes "all digital"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
No problems here ...

I dutifully went to the office (3 times before I got there when the line was not out the door) to pick up my boxes. The counterman (whose name I carefully wrote down, and promptly lost) told me "with your plan, you don't need the box."

I went home and held my breath until the changeover came. And then I missed it. Several days later when I next turned on the TV I forgot that I wasn't supposed to be seeing anything.

Instead, there was no noticeable difference in the channels I watch: SD, HD, single digit or extended; even the channels that aren't listed on my plan - they're all there. And I still have the same access I had on my old analog TV.

Since I have the "broadcast only" plan, they probably are not allowed to block anything an antenna could possibly pick up. Despite the published lineup, it's always included a plethora of other junk such as shopping and music. The only thing we watch is TCM, 60 Minutes, and NOVA.

Bill